Software patents are a contentious issue today. The editorial policy of this blog is to report the views of both sides without any editorial comment or slant. A lofty ideal, but is it really possible in reality?
For the record, to make it clear where I stand, like many I have mixed feelings on the subject
- I understand how society benefits by encouraging people to give up trade secrets (the original purpose of patents) in return for a limited monopoly. This should be limited to non-obvious developments though.
- As a software developer I'm worried about the chilling effects they could have on small software developers.
- As a firm believer in free market / capitalism I have philosophical objections to legislated monopolies and restrictions on trade
- In a fast developing field like computers, I feel that the long effective lifespan of patents will harm the whole of society.
- Dedicated to commenting on society, politics and stupidity. A place to discuss my world views together with philosophical and political thoughts
- Bruce Clement
- More of a "dear diary" type blog
- Domaining .NZ
- Internet branding, including domain names.
- Software Patents
- There's a lot of heat and little light on this subject. Originally an Autoblog I now use it to provide snippets and summaries of major developments in the debate.
- Bruce Clement Summary
- Experimental autoblog, currently an automatic posting of my twitter tweets
- Weight Loss
- An experiment in creating a blog on weight control. Currently not to be taken very seriously
- My blogs and blogging blog